7 Golden Rules of Android App Development
Many people think that ‘eureka’ moments in Android app development strike from out of the blue, but there are ways ideas are inspired.
Often the scenario is constant juggle between new technologies and legacy systems, in-house development team or hiring an android application development company, business requirement, and budget, marketing and maintenance. And you are more likely to make mistakes if you take longer to make decisions.
So, this time, if you are struggling with the complexities of android application development and having a tough time to get your “eureka” moment for developing a winning software application, reclaim your time and energy by following these 7 golden rules.
- It will make you familiar with the simple concepts that you may overlook while deciding for your application development project. Remember that in mobile app development, even the slightest mistake could lead to affect the outcome of your software product.
- It promotes the standard principles of Android app development, so whether you are company exploring more about app development or an Android application developer, the rulebook is apt for all.
- These golden rules will be your guide to help you develop instincts for Android apps, improve your knowledge, and enhance your personal confidence on application development.
So, let’s begin.
7 Golden Rules of Android Application Development
Before we move ahead with the rules, be clear that these rules do not tell you to differentiate between right or wrong. Instead, it simply helps you to know what is important for creating a valuable software product for the customers.
Here goes the list.
1. Analysis of User Requirement:
The user-requirement analysis is critical to the success and failure of your Android app. If you are developing an android app in collaboration with a mobile app development company, make sure that they represent user requirements in a proper form.
Consider how they are addressing user-requirement and what methods they are selecting to generate user-requirements and validation.
- Information gathering: At this step, gather background information about the users and stakeholders and the processes that currently take place.
- User needs identification: After you have the users’ data, identify the users’ needs, through a survey, focus group, interviews, scenario and use cases, and by evaluating the existing competitor systems.
- Envisioning and evaluation: At this stage, develop a prototype to illustrate and carry out brainstorming sessions to validate and refine the requirements. Here, include your Android App Development company during brainstorming sessions to generate new ideas.
- Requirements specifications: Here, categorize the requirements into three parts: user requirements, usability requirement, and organizational requirements. Evaluate these, and based on this, set the priorities and criteria.
2. Optimize Performance of Your Android App for Multiple Android Devices
The market is flooded with Android devices. Every brand offers multiple types of devices with different screen size and capabilities.
So, once when you have critically completed user-requirement analysis, shift your focus on the variety of Android devices.
Here, make sure your technology team is aware of device compatibility requirements, and optimize the performance of your mobile app for Android. Businesses seeking enterprise-based application development solution need to pay more attention, as it can ultimately affect their business revenue.
3. Responsive User Interface (UI)
- Flexible Grid-based layout: When building a responsive app design, set the viewpoint right by fixing width, so that everything can be squish and stretch between the screen size.
- Flexible media: Individual elements of media such as images, frames, or videos should be organized in a perfect ratio by properly defining width and height of the elements.
- Reduce the cognitive load.
- Eliminate the friction point during task completion
Related Blog: 4 Effective Tips: Great UI Design for Mobile Apps
4. Balance Functionality and Creativity
This rule applies to Android Application Developers. It is assumed that for the Android Application to work effectively, it must achieve a balance between functionality and creativity.
The entire feature and functionality of the application must reflect practical judgement from the developers, based on what a customer wants and what is the business requirement. On the other hand, all these features and functions closely follow the long-range and short-term objective and usability of the software application and budgetary control.
PS: If a feature is meaningful, has benefits, and add value to the product, only then go ahead with it, or else reject the idea.
5. Integer Vs. Float
Until acute precision is not required, avoid using float. This is because Smartphone’s CPU is not as advanced as of a desktop, and since float consumes more space than an integer.
Besides, in most of the Android application, high precision is not a crucial issue.
So, when you structure your application, using an integer to implement custom fixed-point math will allow you to have control over your accuracy, without compromising with the space of the application.
Take guidance from your Android application development company for better judgement, after considering your business requirement and goals of the software application.
6. Avoid Virtual Method Calls Within the Class
It is better to avoid virtual method calls unless it is required when using C / C ++ programming language. When an object is written in this language, the initializers run from most derived class to the base class.
When it comes to .NET, objects begin as more derived type, and so virtual method calls run on the most derived type.
So, if you make a virtual method call in a constructor, the natural, inheritance hierarchy is not the most derived type, as it will call on the class, whose constructor has not been run. You can hire Android developers to have more knowledge on the subject.
7. Mobile Application Usability Testing
If you assume that every mobile app user who download the application, use it in the same way as other, then you are wrong here. And this assumption can prove fatal for your application.
And if you have considered all the possibilities during the Android app development process, then it is time for you to conduct a stringent mobile application usability testing.
- Give importance to single column layout than multiple columns
- Keep content at the center of the screen and place the navigation controls at the bottom
- The targeted touch for mobile devices is 7x7m which is approximately 40 pixels
- Replicate real-world movements and proportionate gestures
- Have a natural-flow of content to win the users
- Follow a progressive disclosure policy
To bring great ideas to the table, you must be aware of the rules of the game. It will make your ideas more valid and capable. Hope this rulebook will make you familiar with the crucial aspects of Android application development solutions. Besides, you can use it for the assessment of Android application development company and Android developers.
Finoit Technologies is a renowned mobile app development company providing custom software development services and IOT application development services. We have developed over 450 mobile apps and have assisted enterprises and startups by functioning as a tech partner and rolling out their product ideas. We are a Standard Consulting Partner for AWS and have the expertise and experience to help transform the technology journey of our customers. For questions/queries, you may write to us at [email protected]
Need Help With Your
Book a Free consultation
Drop in your details and our analyst will be in touch with you at the earliest.
6565 N MacArthur Blvd, STE 225 Irving, Texas, 75039, United States