Android or iOS: Which Platform to Choose First for Building E-commerce App
If you are at a crossroads between Android or iOS platforms, this short guide will help you to make a fair and strong decision when planning to build an e-commerce App.
The e-commerce software application business has emerged as a powerhouse, with a projected revenue of 6.3 billion US dollars in 2021. And according to Statista, this figure will soar to 7.4 billion by 2025. Clearly, this market has enormous popularity and unexplored potential.
In the quest to carve a successful space in the fiercely competitive e-commerce marketplace, selecting the right platform becomes a pivotal choice for businesses. The platform choice can significantly impact the reach, user experience, and overall success of an e-commerce app. Therefore, businesses need to consider all the factors carefully and only then decide to choose between iOS and Android platforms.
To decide whether to create an e-commerce app on Android or iOS first, you must consider these 5 crucial factors:
- Target audience
- Project timeline
- Functionality and Features of the online shopping application
- App maintenance budget
- Revenue goal
Developing for iOS or Android is a difficult choice to make. But if you are aware of what your audience needs, which feature and functionality is important for a shopping app, how much you can spend on app maintenance, and most importantly, what is your precise revenue goal, then you can quickly end this conflict of Android or iOS for your e-commerce mobile application.
But hold on, before you dive headfirst into development, there’s more to uncover. Let’s delve deeper to uncover the additional considerations that will shape your ultimate decision.
Android vs. iOS – Building Faster and Cost-Effective Applications
Here is a short comparison you should know before building an e-commerce app between Android and iOS that will help build a solid expectation regarding the project timeline.
|iOS Operating System
|Android Operating System
|Swift involves less writing
|Java requires more writing, however, Kotlin, Android’s new official programming language, takes less time to write code.
|Proprietary and standardized, less scope for customization and creativity.
|Open source, lack of standardization, a high scope for customization, and creativity.
|Apple App Store, high-quality expectations, a long review process
|Google Play Store, a shorter review process
|More secure due to the close nature
|Susceptible to malware and pirate apps due to an open environment
|Only support iOS devices
|Diverse phone options
The factors depicted in the table impact the e-commerce mobile app development timeline. Since Apple has a closed ecosystem, developing an app is much easier, more secure, and faster with iOS. However, Android is open-source and so flexible. A reliable e-commerce mobile app development company can easily play around with this and develop a feature-rich shopping application. Here you got to know the difference, now scroll below and get acquainted with factors that can assist you to build an e-commerce application by choosing the right platform.
Navigate the Crossroads of Android vs. iOS for Your e-commerce App
Let’s understand what suits your e-commerce business’s needs better – iOS or Android. Here, we help you make an informed decision by comparing the two platforms with some important parameters.
Reach far by targeting right
- Android: When considering building an e-commerce Android app, look no further than Android for unparalleled access to a vast user base across the globe. With its dominant market share, Android offers tremendous opportunities for expansion, especially in emerging markets such as Southeast Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
By leveraging Android’s wide reach, your e-commerce venture can tap into diverse cultures, preferences, and purchasing power, fueling growth and establishing a global presence. So let’s take a quick at this map that shows which country prefers Android.
Image source:- techcrunch.com
- iOS: On the other hand, iOS holds a strong position in developed markets such as North America, Europe, and Australia. iPhone users, in particular, are prominent in these regions. In addition, iOS users generally exhibit higher income levels and greater spending power, making them an attractive target audience for e-commerce businesses offering premium products or services.
If your e-commerce app targets a more affluent customer base or focuses on regions where iOS devices are prevalent, choosing iOS as your platform can help you tap into this lucrative market segment. Also, look at this map for a better understanding.
Image source:- techcrunch.com
- Android: If you’re an e-commerce startup owner seeking to explore diverse revenue streams, Android’s monetization opportunities can be a game-changer. Despite generating less revenue compared to iOS, Android offers unparalleled flexibility. With it, you can embrace the freedom to leverage third-party app stores, tap into alternative payment methods, and seize advertising options.
These advantages enable your e-commerce startup to experiment with various revenue models, reach wider audiences, and adapt to evolving market trends. With Android, your app can become a hub of innovation, enticing users with unique offerings while opening doors to untapped revenue potential.
- iOS: When it comes to generating revenue, iOS holds a distinct advantage. With iOS users displaying a higher propensity to pay and spending more on apps and in-app purchases, targeting iOS for your e-commerce app can be a lucrative choice. By building on iOS, your startup can tap into a market of affluent users who prioritize quality, convenience, and seamless transactions.
To ensure the success of your e-commerce startup, consider exploring iOS app development services. These specialized services can help you unlock the full potential of your app on the iOS platform. By leveraging their expertise, you can transform your e-commerce vision into a feature-rich and user-friendly application, providing a seamless and engaging experience for your customers.
Finding the perfect balance
- Android: Developing Android can be more time-consuming and costly due to device fragmentation, various screen sizes, and different versions of the operating system. Testing and optimizing the app for a wide range of devices can add complexity to development and potentially increase costs. However, the availability of open-source libraries and a larger developer community can provide cost-saving resources.
- iOS: iOS development typically offers faster time to market and lower development costs due to a more homogenous ecosystem. With fewer device variations and operating system versions to consider, development, testing, and maintenance processes can be streamlined. However, iOS development tools, such as Mac hardware and Xcode, may have higher upfront costs.
Craft memorable experiences
- Android: Android’s flexibility in app design and customization is a boon for e-commerce startups. With a wide range of UI/UX options and open-source libraries, you can create a visually stunning app that reflects your brand identity. For example, the popular e-commerce app “Amazon Shopping” on Android showcases a customized user interface, allowing seamless navigation and personalized shopping experiences.
- iOS: Apple’s design guidelines and rigorous app review process ensure a polished user experience. This can benefit your e-commerce startup in creating a streamlined and intuitive app. Take inspiration from “Sephora” on iOS, which adheres to Apple’s design principles, providing users with a visually appealing and user-friendly interface for browsing and purchasing beauty products.
Security and Trust
- Android: Android’s open nature offers immense flexibility but can raise concerns about security. As a startup owner, deciding to build an e-commerce Android app or an e-commerce iOS app can be perplexing. While Android allows users to install apps from third-party sources, it’s crucial to prioritize security measures and best practices to ensure a secure environment for your e-commerce app.
By implementing robust security protocols, and encryption methods, and staying vigilant against vulnerabilities, you can build trust with your audience and overcome the perceived security concerns associated with Android. Communicating your commitment to security and demonstrating proactive measures can strengthen your credibility and foster trust among users.
- iOS: If instilling trust and prioritizing security is paramount for your e-commerce startup, focusing on iOS can be a strategic choice. Apple’s closed ecosystem and stringent app review process contribute to a more secure environment for iOS apps. This heightened emphasis on security and privacy provides an advantage when dealing with sensitive user information, such as payment details.
By aligning with iOS’ strong security measures and ensuring compliance with Apple’s guidelines, you can instill confidence in your users and attract security-conscious customers. Emphasizing your commitment to user privacy and data protection can help differentiate your e-commerce app in the competitive market.
Support and Resources
- Android: Android, with its larger developer community and extensive documentation, offers a wealth of support and resources to aid your e-commerce venture. The vibrant community provides a platform to seek assistance, collaborate, and share knowledge.
The availability of open-source libraries and resources can address development challenges effectively, offering cost-effective solutions and accelerating the app development process. However, to unlock the full potential of Android applications, it is crucial to partner with a reputable mobile app development agency. This partnership acts as a driving force that propels your app to reach new levels of success.
- iOS: For a startup perplexed about whether to prioritize iOS or Android for its e-commerce app, iOS offers comprehensive support and resources tailored to your needs. Apple’s commitment to providing extensive documentation, guidelines, and developer support resources ensures a smooth development experience.
Although the iOS developer community is smaller, the resources available are designed to assist you in overcoming any hurdles you may encounter. Notably, Apple’s developer support team is renowned for their responsiveness, ensuring timely assistance during critical stages of app development. Leveraging these resources empowers your e-commerce startup to make the most of iOS ecosystem and create a refined app that resonates with users.
Maintaining App Maintenance Budget
- Android: With approximately 50% of Android users not updating their operating system, maintenance becomes a critical consideration to build an e-commerce application. These apps require ongoing attention to accommodate new mobile OS versions, address UX/UI improvements, track and fix bugs, incorporate new device features, and implement security updates. While the lower rate of OS updates may reduce the frequency of maintenance, it is crucial to allocate sufficient resources to ensure the app’s optimal performance and user experience.
- iOS: iOS users have a better track record when it comes to updating their operating system. This means to build e-commerce app may require more investment in maintenance to cater to the latest OS versions, enhance UX/UI functionality, resolve bugs, leverage new device features, and implement vital security updates. Ensuring seamless performance and user satisfaction on iOS devices necessitates careful budgeting and consistent attention to maintenance.
As we saw, both Android and iOS carry their own strengths and weaknesses, and are suitable to particular situations. As a result, before you arrive at a decision, first:
- Identify who your audience is and where they live.
- List out the features your audience want and evaluate which OS can provide better options
- Analyze your development timeline
- Determine your budget
If you want to build an online shopping application quickly and cheaply, the iOS platform should be your choice. If you need to target a global audience and emerging market, use an Android e-commerce application.
Whether it is iOS or Android development, the best way for a startup or an SMB is always to collaborate with a specialized e-commerce application development company.
Finoit Technologies can provide valuable expertise and assistance in building your mobile shopping application and steering your e-commerce business’s growth strategies. To know more, connect with our development expert at [email protected].
Book a Free consultation
Drop in your details and our analyst will be in touch with you at the earliest.
6565 N MacArthur Blvd, STE 225 Irving, Texas, 75039, United States